The job of the Assessor is to place a value on all taxable real and personal property, within the county as of January 1, which is the assessment date set by statute. Each of the 115 County Assessor's offices, in the state of Missouri, is overseen and regulated by The Missouri State Tax Commission. Random visits by Technical assistants, and annual ratio studies on all three (Commercial, Residential, and Agricultural) classes of property, aid the state tax commission in ensuring the Assessors compliance with the state requirements.
Real Estate and Personal Property are the two types of local property taxes.
Real Estate has three subclasses:
- Residential @ 19% of market value;
- Commercial @ 32% of Market value
- Agricultural @ 12% of market value.
- Almost everything is valued @33 1/3% of Market value.
- Grain @ 1/2% of 1%
Buchanan County has 39,415 structures on the real tax roll and over 110,000 articles of personal property that have to be valued each year.
Contact the County Collector with questions regarding:
- Not receiving one or more statements.
- General questions concerning the collection process.
Scot W. Van Meter
Contact This Office:
Fax: (816) 271-1581