Office hours for applying: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
Licenses issued by our office are valid only in Missouri
$51.00 license fee (non-refundable).
Guidelines for obtaining a marriage license:
- Both parties must appear together, in person to fill out the application.
- Identification requirements for U.S. Citizens:
- One of the following forms of photo I.D.; a valid driver's license, Government picture I.D., U.S. passport, or Military I.D.
- You need to know your Social Security number.
- Identification for individuals who are not U.S. Citizens:
- A valid U.S. government documentation must be provided. Acceptable documentation includes a valid passport with a visa or U.S. entry stamp, driver's license, tax identification number and an official copy of a translated birth certificate if proof of age is not included in the above documents.
- Non English speaking applicants must provide an interpreter. The interpreter must be willing to sign a notarized affidavit attesting that he/she is fluent verbally and can read the language of the applicants. The interpreter has asked correctly of the applicants and answered truthfully their responses to Missouri Department of Health form MO06404. The interpreter must have a valid photo I.D. and be 18 years of age or older. There will be a $2.00 fee for filing the notarized affidavit. The interpreter understands he/she may be summoned or subpoenaed to Court for any legal matters arising from the issuance of the Marriage License.
- Previously married applicants will be asked to provide the date their last marriage ended by death or divorce.
- Marriage License is issued the same day you come in and it is good for 30 days in the state of Missouri only.
- Under-Age Applicants
- Applicants under the age of 18 must bring a parent or legal guardian to give consent to the marriage. The parent or guardian will need a valid photo ID. If the parents are divorced, the custodial parent must present the divorce decree showing proof of custody. Also, their birth certificate with the parents name on it along with a valid photo ID.
- The Legal age to marry is now 16 years of age, with parental consent. The other party can not be 21 or older.
Persons Solemnizing Marriages (Sec.451.100 as amended 1989)
- “Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state, or by any judge of a court of record. Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.”
MARRIAGE LICENSE MUST BE RETURNED TO THE RECORDER OF DEEDS OFFICE WITHIN 15 DAYS AFTER THE MARRIAGE.
Requests for Marriage License Certifications
- Proof of your marriage is available upon request in person or by mail. For mail-in requests, please include both parties' names at the time of marriage, date of marriage and a Money order of $10.00 for a Certified Copy of the Marriage License or a Money order of $2.00 for a Copy of the Marriage License. Please include a self address envelope for us to mail the Certified Copy back to you.
Please mail your requests to:
Buchanan County Recorder of Deeds
411 Jules Street
St Joseph, MO. 64501
- Also, we accept phone requests. You will need to have both parties' names at the time of marriage, date of marriage and your credit card. There will be a $10.00 fee for a Certified Copy or $2.00 fee for a Copy. An additional convenience fee will be added to your credit card.