Traffic Division

Traffic and Alcohol Charge Policy

View the policy  (PDF)

Simple Rules of the Road

If you received a ticket and were given an envelope addressed to the Fine Collection Center in Jefferson City, you must fill out the "not guilty" form inside the envelope and mail it to the Fine Collection Center along with a copy of your ticket.

Approximately two weeks after mailing in the "not guilty" form you can submit a request for consideration for an amendment to the charge. The request can be submitted to this office by:

Email: Traffic Division
Fax: 816-901-1608, ATTN: Traffic Division
Mail: Traffic Division
Buchanan County Prosecutor
411 Jules, Room 132
St. Joseph, Missouri 64501

Be sure to include a copy of the ticket, your fax number, address, or phone number so you can receive a response.

Proof of Insurance

If you received a ticket for No Proof of Insurance, you must submit proof that the vehicle was insured at the time the ticket was issued. This proof must be sent prior to the court date. The proof can be brought to our office, emailed, faxed, or mailed.

Amendments to Speeding Tickets

Speeding tickets will not be amended to non-moving violations. The State may offer to amend a speeding ticket to a no-point violation under the following conditions only:

 1. Offender's speed is no more than 15 miles per hour over the posted speed

  limit; and

 2. Offender's speed is no higher than 80 miles per hour.

If you meet these requirements, the State may offer a no-point amendment to 1-5 over the posted speed limit. Please select the Plea Agreement Request below.

Plea Agreement Request

Court Appearances

If you received a ticket for Driving While Intoxicated, Driving While Suspended or Revoked or a ticket as a result of an accident, you will have to appear in court on your assigned court date.